Welcome To: Vapor-Free Air Arvada
Vapor-Free Air Arvada is a community initiative supported by a group of Arvada residents, tobacco prevention partner organizations, Jefferson County Public Health and the Tobacco-Free Jeffco Alliance. Efforts include working to educate the community of Arvada about the public health concerns of electronic smoking devices (ESDs) and the known and possible detrimental effects of exposure to secondhand aerosol emitted by ESDs.
The City of Arvada recently passed an ordinance to prohibit the use of ESDs in some public places. Learn more about the ordinance here:
- The aerosol that is emitted by an ESD is not “water vapor” as many believe, but a complex mixture of chemicals, many of which are known to be toxic or cancer-causing.
- Current e-cigarette use (use on at least 1 day in the past 30 days) among U.S. middle and high school students tripled between 2013 and 2014 in the US.
- Marijuana vaporizers can look and operate similar to nicotine vaporizers and manufacturers promote their ability to hide the odor of marijuana and allow the user to deliver very potent forms of THC without detection.
- Permitting use of ESDs where smoking is prohibited may undermine smoke-free policies and make enforcement of these laws very difficult.
- E-liquid can cause poisoning when ingested or absorbed through the skin.